Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Madison Who's Who

I had a merry half hour on the phone with a high pressure salesman from this organisation this afternoon. They claim to run an international directory of top professionals and try to get you to sign up for a full listing for 750€ (or only 989€ for lifetime membership!).

I was caught by an apparently identical organisation some years back: the International Who's Who Historical Society. The directory did eventually arrive, filled with the names of international professionals. The web site and contacts system also worked, for a while, until it suddenly stopped sending out the appeals for help, mostly from young Asians who had clearly been conned out of their life savings.

These guys are very good. They called my direct line, with my previous resumé in front of them, and made small talk about my business and the economy in an intelligent and informed fashion. Then, just as those years ago, they told me I had "passed" the interview, that I am clearly the kind of informed intelligent professional that would most benefit from signing up, and got round to talking about money.

Once bitten, twice shy, as they say. My advice is to keep away as you will not be able to confirm their authenticity. Note that a Google search brings up a number of identical positive references on the same hosting server and only one worried third-party query.

Oh, and on the basis that the FBI reads everything that is posted in the internet, I have a name and phone number if you would like to go after them for wire fraud!

No comments: