Tuesday, March 20, 2007

CD of the Month (3)

Josef Haydn is the recognised master of the symphony, having written at least 104. The best known is number 104 itself - the "London" symphony, so called because it was written in London (along with eleven others). Despite having had to study it at school, I still never tire of listening to it, which is how it has come to supersede Lighthouse Family.

My recording of it is probably considered rather dated now - Christopher Hogwood conducting the Academy of Ancient Music, which were really the first to make a serious attempt to play period music in a period style on period instruments - a 1980's obsession. Nevertheless, I think that this CD sounds better than my other recording (Colin Davis and the Concertgebouw Orchestra). I'm only going to upload one of them though, so you'll have to take my word for it.

From easy listening to popular classics, we're on a slippery slope now...

No comments: