Monday, March 20, 2006

Motoring Pundits

Radio Capital has an early evening feature where anybody can request to have their say on the air about issues affecting motorists. That's all very well, but it continues to fuel the pundits - the bad drivers are always in the other cars.

Of course, we're all motoring experts: locals, expats, old, young, men, women. When did you last hear anybody admitting to being ashamed at the way they drive? That's the root of the problem. What's missing is a dose of modesty and introspection.

Maybe Radio Renascença should have an equivalent feature: "Forgive me Mr Presenter, for I have broken the Highway Code." I think not. That's just giving raw material for the comics to parody. How about AA (Automobile Association?): "Hi. I'm Zé. I'm an accident waiting to happen, but I haven't touched a solid white line in 37 days." Which radio station would host that one?

No comments: