Thursday, February 16, 2006

Netcabo: so far so good

Despite my initial fears, the change from ADSL to Netcabo has been pretty smooth. The only problems have been:

  • the self-install kit would never have worked without a call to the technical help desk. The carrier frequency required was not pre-programmed in the modem or on the CD. This was solved, first-time, by a 12-minute assistance call.
  • the connection does not recover after a power failure because the modem has to boot before switching on the router. That's not the end of the world.

Connection speed is fine. Only 15 minutes of down-time in a month (that I detected).

As for software problems - Sitemeter seems unable to detect my owns visits, to exclude them from the hits statistics and two weeks after the move started reporting my hits as Netcabo in Porto, which is definitely not where I live.

Now TV Cabo, that's another story. Fox, Eurosport 2 and Motors TV were all part of the Cabovisão base package. TV Cabo's base selection is not to our taste - we'd dispense Gigashopping, M6 and Parlamento. Can't win them all.

2 comments:

bev trayner said...

I'm leaving NetCabo and going for the Banda Larga Móvel.

Anonymous said...

Being smart is posting a comment in the wrong post, which I did! I am happy to see that you are posting more often. To increase confusion I will comment about secury: In Portugal its all about a phone call, a fax and comprovativo de residência. We rule.