Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Embarrassing Performance

As a long-time Liverpool fan, I borrowed a scarf and went to the match yesterday, thanks to my colleague and Benfica fan who got me a ticket.

It was an embarrassing performance. If Benitez wanted a draw, what was wrong with 1-1? If I had been watching at home, I would have given up after half an hour.

The second half was better entertainment. Liverpool never deserved to win, preferring the Italian approach. At least the better team eventually won.

For me the men of the match were Luisao and Riis - two defenders, which sums up the excitement level. The only high point was the goal. The low points were Luis Garcia's yellow card after only 20 seconds and Beto's challenge on Sissoko. Both were worth red cards, but it seems that UEFA has eased off on the referee's this year.

Now I have to wait to see how Liverpool turn the scoreline round in the home leg. It was a dead certainty for me, now I only give them a 60% chance.

No comments: