Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Avoid Problems with the Building Inspectors

When a new building sprung up behind my garden wall, I was concerned about its height and distance from surrounding roads and buildings, so I went to the City's web site and filed a complaint. In return I received a mail confirming the number of my complaint - so far so good.

A week later I got a call to inform me that the construction permit number I had copied from the builder's sign, did not exist. "Could I give any more details?" As I had put the address and geo-reference from the website in the complaint, I fail to see what was missing.

That was in December. This week I phoned to find out what happened to my complaint. I spent 20 minutes being transferred around City Hall. All the secretaries could tell me was that the case had been closed - though I never received a reply.

So if you want to build, with no problems, just buy a sign, fill it in with random data which you wash off again to leave an illegible blur. Build what you like - nobody will be able to complain. Random checks by building inspectors may be dealt with using the personal touch - preferably face-to-face in the local seafood restaurant. You'll have to deal with the paperwork sooner or later, but meanwhile you can save time and have the building ready (and sold) while the planners pore over the drawings.

1 comment:

bev trayner said...

(sigh) pois é....