Sunday, March 23, 2008

Blackberry Obsessives

To have staff who are contactable 24/7, to give your company the cutting edge - any top manager's dream. Can't see it myself.

  • With my phone (from Palm) I can pick up my email whenever I want, just like a Blackberry. If there's anything urgent coming up, I can set it to check my mail every 3 minutes. What's the difference between that and "push-mail"? Even if I push mail to my staff, I run the risk of them being too busy to deal with my latest missive. Getting up and wandering over to see what they are doing is far more effective.
  • All Blackberry owners that I have know are far more stressed than they really need to be - that's not good for business.
  • Blackberry keeps all your mail on its servers. Do you trust them and their government not to pry? No surprise that the French government has banned its staff from using the service.
  • How secure is your Blackberry if you accidentally leave in on a train or restaurant table? Your mobile device must just be a backup for your fixed system. Once you've read the mail, delete it.
The FT sent me a free copy of Who Moved My Blackberry - gave me the willies. Not for me, thank you very much, and I'm much more prudent than the twit in the story...

No comments: