Saturday, February 02, 2008

Golfing on a Wii

Saying how wonderful the Wii games console is would be a post that's only two years overdue, though we only got one for Christmas, but I'll say it anyway. Despite the inferior quality of the graphics processing, the Wii, with its Sports games and innovative wireless game controllers, is great for getting us couch potatoes on our feet and leaping around.

And having gone and hit some golf balls today, after a sickly month of January, I find an interesting side effect. While playing Tiger Woods Golf 2004 on the PS2 was disastrous for my golf, the 2007 version where the Wii obliges me to practice a full, slow golf swing, appears to actually improve my game! Strangely, after playing the real sport, I can't hit a thing on the Wii...

Unfortunately, the console is right to tell us to take a break every so often. The realistic sports actions do tire muscles, despite the light weight of the controller, and seem to aggravate my injured shoulder almost as much as the real game: extra realism I'm not sure the game developers were aiming to simulate!

No comments: