Sunday, November 19, 2006

Rotas do Mundo

When I went to Rome last month I picked up two travel magazines at the airport, Rotas do Mundo from the TAP free newspaper counter and another, apparently better known publication, which I bought because it had a feature on Rome. (I might review that one too, if I ever get round to reading it.)


I was intrigued by Rotas do Mundo because of its style: first-person reports from people who appear to have travelled independently, not corporate free-loaders. It's hardly of Portuguese origin, with contributions of other nationalities and is simultaneously superficial and oddly focused. Reporters on Brittany, Galiza and Innsbruck dash from cafe to cafe. Those in West Africa, India and French Polynesia try to cover too much area in to little space.

If you are a "Lonely Plant" type of traveller, as I used to be, this may be the magazine for you. Personally I am reserving judgement until I have sampled others.

No comments: