Tuesday, August 01, 2006

German Discount Groceries

Wal-Mart, the world's biggest retailer, is pulling out of Germany because Germans don't want to pay to be better served, preferring to go to Lidl. Now I agree with them about service - at a supermarket who cares - but I am so allergic to actually going shopping that you won't find me in Lidl. Give me a hypermarket any day. One-stop shopping, in and out as quickly as possible, buying what's on the list and probably nothing more. It's not that there's anything wrong with Lidl's products - the lasagne and ready-mixed Sangria are great - I just can't buy everything in one go.


Somewhere in the murky depths of my mind another obscure connection was made. I remember reading that the Germans could rescue their Social Security system simply by buying and consuming as much as 20% less food. Healthcare would cost the State less due to reduced obesity, and they could save more for their retirement, easing the pension burden.


If the Germans prefer not to pay for service, what do they buy with the cash that they save? Greater quantities? It would appear so. And this is not just a German problem. Obesity is rife in the UK and ever more commonplace in Portugal where lower disposable income should encourage more careful shopping. Food for thought...

Technorati Tags :

Powered By Qumana

No comments: