Monday, July 03, 2006

FIFA injustice

Much as I would prefer not to write about Saturday's match, I can't be seen as the only Anglo-Portuguese blogger to ignore it.

Frankly, I thought that England played better, overall, than Portugal, but that doesn't count if you can't put the ball in the back of the net. Rooney and Beckham were useless. Hargreaves and Ashley Cole were superb. On the Portuguese side, the only player who stood out was Ricardo, clearly the Man of the Match. England didn't miss four penalties out of five. Four out of the five penalties were on target but Ricardo defended three of them - a stunning feat. How FIFA chose Hargreaves as Man of the Match is beyond me, though he was the best England player.

Congratulations to Cristiano Ronaldo for slotting home the last penalty, under huge pressure. I hope he gets to do the same against France and Germany, when I will be supporting Portugal.
Technorati Tags :
Powered By Qumana

No comments: